I called my parents today to say Happy Birthday to my dad. Before long, the conversation turned to my job situation. My parents are concerned about my job (in)security right now since MS' stock is dropping and layoffs are imminent. I reassured them (and to you, my reader) that I have been told that my job is safe. I know, however, that circumstances change so until further notice, no need to worry about me. In fact, i am up for a new challenge this year. I will be working more closely with my outsource team in China and this would mean there is a large chance of being sent to Beijing for training and management. it's very exciting so I told my dad this and said i could be going to Beijing for months at a time in the coming year. then he launched into his "I told you so" lecture. in hindsight, there are a lot of things i shoudl have done as a kid but hey, i think given the circumstances, i turned out ok. here's what my dad said to me today...
dad: I told you you should have spent more time learning cantonese in chinese school. see? it comes in handy now.
me : they speak mandarin in beijing so actually cantonese wouldn't have been that helpful
dad: but if you know cantonese then you know mandarin
me : i don't think it's quite that simple - do you know mandarin?
dad: well no but if i invest some time i could learn it quickly. you know, you can learn mandarin and cantonese by watching the drama TV shows on chinese channel. See? you should have watched with me and mom when you were younger. you had the resource available to you and you didn't take advantage of it. now look, you go to beijing you don't speak chinese.
me : i remember when i was young, you said, more study, less TV. do you really think i had time to watch chinese shows all night long?
dad: well i guess i can send you some now so you can start watching.
me : fine.
parents. sometimes they don't remember how they raised you. yes there is some truth to what he is saying - i do regret, to an extent, that i had not invested more time and energy into learning cantonese. but it's never too late right?
Tuesday, March 03, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
hilarious!!!!!!
parents...sigh...CHINESE parents...
(though i have to say i think i learned the majority of my limited Cantonese from movies and those ridiculous soaps where everyone is in love with someone else they can't be in love with and they all end up dying at the end!)
Their argument is flawed IMO.
The person you were when you were younger made you exactly who you are today. Spending your time differently would have completely changed the outcome. More time learning Cantonese may have closed all doors on M$, & landed you a good job Starwalk Buffet or something...OK, I'm being extreme but you know what I mean.
Sure, I wish I hadn't skipped so many French classes in High School, & continued with the Cantonese classes K & I were taking in 2000(ish).
Let's not live in the pass though, let's worry about living for the future...
oiboi.
haha. I remember when your dad was always nagging about studying and not chatting with me on the phone... but you were such a good student anyhow!
i love hindsight.
it makes me feel better.
and the things that make me a little regretful, i tuck it away. there's no point. keep on trucking, i say.
as for you! China!!!! wowee! make sure you keep us posted!
Post a Comment