Wednesday, September 20, 2006
Officially a tutor...
Monday was my first day at the library tutoring kids whenever they might have questions about their homework. i put on my bright blue Study Zone T-shirt and i even took out the "Math Master" button confidently to wear on my shirt. I brought a book in case it was slow but i pulled my eyes up once in a while to see if there were kids who looked like they might have a question. at first i sat by myself at an empty table so i would look like i were available to approach. but no body came. finally i overheard a couple of older boys telling a younger boy to "go ask the tutor" and then the younger boy replying "no i don't want to" and then the older boy saying "i don't have time to help. just go ask the tutor". finally i speak up... "do you have a question about your homework?" to which the younger boy goes "ok.... fine.." I moved over to the kids table (it felt strangely like school when you're sitting at the cafe and finally one group of kids takes pity on you sitting by yourself and welcomes you to sit with them at their table) and then i was able to help these kids with their math and music homework. It was a nice, relaxing change of environment from the hectic and oftentimes meaningless day at work. I'm glad I took this up. I'm looking forward to next week's session too :D I hope i see the kids again.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Way to go Math Master! =) Glad to hear about a good first day!
despite what my teacher told me to do while tutoring at ___________ - do not go into a closed room with no windows and beat your children - hahaha. I was tempted to on several instances, but refrained from inflicting bodily harm. haha. Big ups on tutoring - give back to the community!!!
hey!
I think you'd be an excellent tutor. Its much more personal than teaching a class, and I think you have a way with kids.
Yes, you can come off a little "not want to be approached" at first, but once the kids get to know you, I bet they'll think you're fantastic!
Post a Comment