Wednesday, February 20, 2008

New Laptop!

I've been asked twice now... So for the curious techies out there, here it is :

I got a Lenovo T61 - essentially it is a ThinkPad from IBM. While it's not a beautiful machine - it's a plain black notebook, no rounded corners, no pulsing sleep indictor or back-lit fruited logo on the cover - it's a very solid machine. at least compared to my old dying and flakey dell. so far, i'm very happy with my new laptop. i've been looking for a replacement since my dell gave me the blue screen recently and started making strained and laborious noises when accessing the harddrive and whenever you popped in a DVD to play. it was time to get a new one. last week when hmma, his housemate and I were bored in the living room, i was trying to install tax software on my laptop and was getting very upset with it becuase the DVD player was not recogizing the install CD. this is when the housemate says " oh there's a deal going on with lenovo T series laptops. on top of the MS employee discount that we get, there's another discount code on top of that. so you can get the T61 for about 30% off." so i was sold. i bought it right then. i guess it was somewhat impulsive and in the heat of frustration but it is better to purchase before the old one dies and when the new one is on sale rather than after the old one dies and you are forced to purchase full price. Right?

5 comments:

DBush said...

Right!

Duncan and Jen said...

I was wonderin and wonderin whether you'd ever bring yourself to purchase one with the fruit logo and rounded edges...

I wonder what the official or unofficial MS policy is on that...=)

Anonymous said...

sales are good.

gear-girl said...

Of course, no official MS policy on purchasing that... other... brand of laptops and devices. I see people who do though - they tote their iphones and ipods around - it's not too bad really.

Jerry Hung said...

Using IBM T60 at work, and got a new Lenovo R61i from UPS yesterday ($620 CAD after tax, price error)

Still remains a Dell fan, but I am getting more used to the black unattractive ThinkPads, how sad

At least...they have "Windows" key now, it was so annoying before!