My housemate was telling me last week that everytime she visits home in Toronto, her sister says it's like a whirlwind of activity revolving around her visit. Her parents get all worked up in anticipation of having their daughter home again. There's a big fuss and ruckus to make her feel at home and welcome. She arrives and everyone stops their routine schedule to accomodate her and then she leaves and what's left behind is a cloud of dust that settles before life goes back to normal.
I generally feel the same way but I try to be self-sufficient while in Toronto and take the TTC when I can so i don't have to use the car. my family moved out to Richmond Hill recently though and I couldn't get anywhere by bus. My younger sister had to share the car when before she never had to. My mom prepared a place for me to sleep and made me ginseng and chicken soup. My dad made sure i had enough Canadian cash to spend (how nice!!!) Everything was to accomodate my stay and surely, they do make me feel welcome and at home. This past trip home however, was very much a whirlwind and I definitely caused enough ruckus that the cloud of dust will take more than just a couple of days to settle.
On the way to the airport, I was driving my parents car when I got into a minor accident in the parking lot of a bank. I was just trying to do a U-turn to get us back on the correct route and as I was in a rush to get the airport (note: NEVER drive when you are in a rush!), i neglected to check my blind spot and did not see a car preparing to exit the parking lot. He hit the front left side of my parent's car. Oh what a horrible feeling. the last few seconds felt like i was staring at the other car in slow-mo. I could see the car coming, coming, coming, and i could see that it was close and that if he didn't swerve he would hit me. And then it hit. and then i finally snapped out of it. I should have honked but i think it was too late. Anyhow, as soon as i got out of the car, my parents were concerned about my well-being and then getting me to the airport. i was worried that i had just reduced their car count by 1. which would mean making my parents and my younger sister share a car during the week. Well, they managed to get me to the airport in time using their other car (my dad driving this time) - i'm guessing they were all thinking "good riddance!" when they let me out of the car.
And i think that's about as big of a whirlwind that you can create right before leaving the city. Shirley says - you sure topped the cake with that one.
Monday, June 02, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
aw~ that's too bad for your parents' car. but, honestly, having you around was quite a treat, even if i only got to see you for a few hours. :O) please do come back soon!
Post a Comment