Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Boasting

This morning's reading included these verses and these particular ones stuck with me all day:

This is what the LORD says:
"Let not the wise man boast of his wisdom
or the strong man boast of his strength
or the rich man boast of his riches,
but let him who boasts boast about this:
that he understands and knows me,
that I am the LORD, who exercises kindness,
justice and righteousness on earth,
for in these I delight,"
declares the LORD.

Jeremiah 9:23-24


It's really easy for me to get this all backwards and mixed up.

As most people know, the 2010 Winter Olympics are happening right now and even though I'm limited to watching American broadcasting of the games (which means I feel like I'm getting way too much info on the American athletes) I'm sure that each country is immensely proud of its athletes and their accomplishments -- especially the medal winners. A lot of the broadcasting include spotlights on certain athletes and some come across as really proud of themselves (for example, that Russian figure skater Yevgeny Plushenko -- WOW) -- they boast about their ability to be the top athlete in their event. And of course, it's a great accomplishment -- certainly, I could never achieve such physical success! But is it really something to boast about?

When I read these verses this morning, I wondered, what does a life look like that boasts about knowing and understanding God? Society doesn't give out any medals or awards to people who have a deep and radical relationship with Christ -- so is it something I still thirst and seek out knowing that the reward comes from God and that it is the best and most valuable reward there is to have in this life? I do have to remind myself from time to time that at the end of my life, I am not going to feel most fulfilled knowing i hit a certain number in my bank account, or that I maintained a certain physique or that I was a person sought out for words of wisdom -- but this mindframe does seem opposite to what society might try to convince me is the way to living a true meaningful life.

No comments: