Wedding planning has been such a challenging experience. I'm not one of those gals who has been dreaming about her wedding since the age of 5. So when thinking about how we wanted our wedding day to look like, I didn't have a lot of preferences. There were certainly a few things I knew I didn't want and a few ideas of what I thought would make our day unique and personal, but aside from those, I was open to most ideas that Hmma had or that friends\family suggested. There is one consistent message, however, that comes to me whenever I get into wedding planning mode: This is the BRIDE's day and as the bride, it's your time to do whatever you want! You DESERVE it! Pull out all the stops!
I have to say that it's easy to buy into this lie and perhaps part of the reason why the wedding industry is so ridiculously overpriced is because of this huge lie that gets communicated and encouraged through society. It's so easy to get wrapped up in myself as the bride-to-be but I just feel uneasy whenever I hear this. Especially true when my own mother said it to me.
I don't think this lie is true at all and if I were to buy into this, I would be robbing the attention from the One who really deserves the center spotlight. Over and again, i remind myself that we agreed at the beginning that our goal was to make choices for our wedding that honoured God and gave Him the glory. PERIOD.
So as we're now getting into the nitty gritty of wedding details, my selfish sinful nature is popping up all over the place. I get upset when Hmma doesn't agree with me. I get upset when our guests don't RSVP on time. I get upset when our vendors charge an arm and leg for something seemingly simple. I get upset when my ideas don't pan out the way I wanted them to. I get upset at the smallest inconvenience that happens to come across my path during my day to day. There is something VERY wrong with this!
So here I am confessing that I've bought into the lie that the bride should be center of her world and everyone and everything should revolve around her. I pray for humility and grace this last month of planning and for joy to permeate through all the last details that need to be taken care of.
Friday, January 28, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment