Today's reading provided more insight on the irony of worshiping idols. I suggest reading the entire chapter of Isaiah 44 however, one verse stuck out for me.
But first, some background. Isaiah describes, in this chapter, how gods were cast into idols from craftsmen or blacksmiths or carpenters -- all of whom are mere mortal men. These tradesmen would take materials and apply their skills to form an idol for worship. A carpenter would take a piece of wood from a tree, half of it he burns in a fire to warm himself or to cook his food. The other half he chisels with care to form an image of a man which he will place in a shrine where he will bow down to worship it.
No one stops to think,
no one has the knowledge or understanding to say,
"Half of it I used for fuel;
I even baked bread over its coals,
I roasted meat and I ate.
Shall I make a detestable thing from what is left?
Shall I bow down to a block of wood?
He feeds on ashes, a deluded heart misleads him;
he cannot save himself, or say,
"Is not this thing in my right hand a lie?"
Isaiah 44:19-20
It's certainly easy for me to think I have no idols in my life. I don't fashion idols with my own hands and then place it in a physical shrine and bow down to worship it. I read this passage and think that the Israelites were so foolish to worship idols - it's so obvious after reading this passage that that block of wood is powerless! So why worship it?
In our modern day society, however, idols are still everywhere and less obvious to our blind eyes. If I were to be placed in the time of Isaiah, I would probably view worshiping of a block of wood as normal and blind to the fact that there is irony in doing so. Who knows -- in another 500 years, would someone take a look at our current ways of life and be able to point out the obvious idols?
I read an article the other day about how people die in automobile accidents because they are texting while driving. If the phone rings while I'm driving, do I really have to answer it while I'm behind the wheel? Is it really that urgent that it cannot wait until ten minutes later when I've arrived at my destination with the car parked? Is it worth risking my life - and possibly others in the car - to text "lol" in response to a friend's txt? Is it possible that our cellphones could be an idol in our current day lives??
Anyway, today's reading reminds me to stop and carefully analyze my life and choices I make - and I love the question Isaiah presents to help me discern: "Is not this thing in my right hand a lie?"
Thursday, February 10, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment