Tuesday, January 17, 2006

George


George
Originally uploaded by geargirl.
To help with my new year's resolution of getting more exercise, I've joined a soccer league with my coworkers. My team at work has an obsession with all things out of the ordinary - let me introduce you to our team mascot - Furious George. He's been with us since I started my internship back in 2004. Back then, I created a tool for the team and Furious George's picture was displayed on this tool as a reminder of what will happen to you if you don't use the tool properly :P. (And the guys I work with wonder why there was a need for a Women's Conference last week...)

Anyhow, our first soccer game was pretty brutal. We had somehow misinterpreted the rules and thought that we only needed one girl on the field at a time but actually we needed at least three. We only had three girls present that first game and sotwo other girls and I had to play the entire game. We were pretty tired at the end - we lost 11-0. :S After that experience, I sent out an email out to the Waterloo Women alias and was able to recruit another girl (YES!) so yesterday, we had five girls on our team and WOW what a difference subbing made! We played a lot better and even though we still lost, the score came out to be 6-1. Hey, we scored a goal. Our team cheered as though we had won the game. I'm glad to be part of a team that encourages learning and participation and is not entirely concerned with winning! haha. Although i DO hope we win at least one!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow...this soccer situation sounds eerily just like our softball situation of summer of 05...dang...we're all perpetual losers....why is this???? lol. Anywhos - if you were a guy I'd tell you to download - "Dry Your Eyes Mate" by The Streets...playing soccer will greatly improve your stamina!!! so just be happy you're getting a good workout while building character??? lol. Peace out.