Sometimes we don't know what sort of impact we make on the world. We think our jobs are meaningless because we don't see the bigger picture. So we lament and we think, if only i could do something to change the world!!
Yesterday, I was at my Japan team meeting (go to http://amysan.wordpress.com for more details about my upcoming Japan short-term missions trip) and we were given a rough schedule for our time in Japan. I noticed that on the schedule, not just once but twice, there was mention of a "Costco party". I found this strange. They have Costcos in Japan?? Apparently they do. And apparently they are exactly like the ones we find in North America. Still I found this odd... what is a "Costco party"?? Here's what it is:
30 pizzas:

stuffed faces and happy smiles:

The Japanese people LOVE pizza!! On one of the Vacation Bible School days, we invite the parents to join us for a Costco pizza lunch. We order 30 full size Costco pizzas and not only do we enjoy the pizza for lunch, each family takes one whole pizza home with them. They did this last year and it was a huge blast. The families loved it and were very appreciative because not every family has a Costco membership so this is a special treat for them.
The second time we will be having a "Costco party" is during the closing ceremonies after worship service on the Sunday after VBS is over. We plan on creating a slideshow of the photos from VBS to show the families who attended and then present printed out photos of the kids to the families. Then afterwards, there is a feast of Costco foods - a particular favourite are the extra large American-sized apple pies.
So, for lil'o who has always wondered "how could designing and building Costcos possibly impact the world?" Well, now you have your answer - there exists at least one ministry out there that uses Costco to provides meals and special "north american" treats to japanese people as a way to minister to them and share God's love with them. Keep it up lil'o! ;) and for the rest of us, sometimes we just need to trust that God can use our seemingly meaningless job for something much bigger than we could have ever thought of.
1 comment:
I read this right after you posted it but didn't get a chance to leave a comment. Thanks for the post! I can't believe that Costco can make such a big impact for God's kingdom! :O Who knew?! Thanks for the encouragement. Haha. From now on, whenever I feel building Costcos are meaningless, I'll think of you and the people of Japan! LOL.
Post a Comment