Last week, the forecast predicted snow on Wednesday starting early morning and continuing throughout the afternoon and evening for a total of about 2-3 inches of snow. This is considered extreme weather for seattle. But Wednesday came and went without a flake of snow. Schools had been cancelled and people stayed home from work so that they wouldn't be caught in crazy traffic on the way home while it was snowing - this has happened in previous years. So most people were disappointed and felt that the forecast had really ripped them off. Well, Thursday morning came around and when I woke up, it was definitely snowing. I went back to sleeping thinking, great! Work from home day!! I can catch a bit more Zzzs. So that was fun. I did a few hours of work but then the network prevented me from logging into my work computer. I expected to return to work on Friday except that when I finally went outside, i realized that this was not just an inch of snow that Seattle usually gets - this was maybe a foot of snow! holy cow.. this could acutally be a problem. Well. due to arctic air from canada (of course, always canada) the temperatures have been below zero and so all this snow has remained on the ground. It's been five days now and I have managed to remove my car from the parking lot in order to fill up on gas ( gas becomes scarce at a time like this - gas stations run out of gas and then people's cars become abandoned at the side of the road ) and today had just return it to my condo's parking lot. Hmma's car is also stuck at my parking lot. I live on a hill and so he is unable to get his car out of the lot. Essentially we are both stuck now without the use of a car to get us around.
I'm a little bummed out because we have travel plans to Toronto on the 24th and at this rate, there is little hope that we will actually make it back in one piece on time. well we might make it in one piece but on time, highly unlikely. Here is the itinerary on the 24th:
Depart Seattle at 6:15am
Arrive in Chicago at 12pm
Depart Chicago at 1:15pm
Arrive in Buffalo at 3:30pm
Catch a bus at 530pm from Buffalo Airport
Arrive in Toronto bus terminal at 8:30pm
If we leave out of Seattle, there is hope that we might actually make it as expected. Let's hope and pray! :) so far though, i live a few blocks from the supermarket which means i can go out and walk ot get food - i just have to walk down the hill nad then back up. At least i'm getting exercise... ?
please pray for warmer weather so the snow will melt and then also for safe travels if we do manage to get out of seattle before Christmas. We're thinking of possibly cancelling our trip and moving it to Chinese New Year if we have to since we're not sure this will be worth it if we are stuck at the airport for a couple of days trying to get to Toronto.
Monday, December 22, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment