The office is very quiet this week. I've realized the full extent of the layoffs on my team - nearly 50% was let go on Tuesday. My test team went from 20+ workers to about 9. While I'm thankful for still having a job, the question that keeps popping up is - Why me? Why was I spared? What is going to happen now? And what part will I play in the restructuring of what's left of the team? I'm sad to say that outsourcing has definitely played a role here. Our new upper management is pushing for it and views it as the only way our product can continue moving forward.
While most "survivors" are fearful of their current position (MS is not finished with layoffs after all), and feeling rather depressed at watching and hearing our coworkers pack up after sweating and labouring for years on this product team, I have to think differently - optimistically. Nothing in this life lasts forever and nothing is ever constant aside from God. What is in the future can be full of new opportunities and adventures, and I trust that this will be the case in this next stage in my career and those who have been let go this week.
So even though "Why me?" keeps popping into my head this week, I have to follow it up with "Why not? Better things are still to come".
Thursday, May 07, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
wow.. that's really tough. Hang in there and keep doing your best. Yeah, nothing is constant. I read an interesting book on change called Who Moved My Cheese http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who_Moved_My_Cheese
Post a Comment