Monday, October 26, 2009

Simplicity

More convictions this week as I contemplate what a life would look like when one is ridiculously in love with God. I began to question some of my purchase choices. When you start thinking about giving up your entire salary to the world that needs it far more than you do, you start to examine the choices you make more closely.

This week, I was having lunch with my teammates -- after May's laying off, there are only a few of us left on the team (ie. four). Morale has been depressingly low. We came up with an idea to host a test team party -- it involved making ice cream! Our own homemade ice cream! It also involved purchasing a new ice cream maker for .. hmm.. $50 on amazon. For me and my teammates, $50 is really not that much money. The statement alone made me think a few things --
1) Good grief, am i so blessed that i can spend $50 without thinking twice? Or can i spend $50 without thinking that maybe it could be put to more essential things that i might need? For example, for food or to pay for rent? How much of this world could receive $50 and see it as a small fortune not to squandered?
2) All my teammates had the same line of thinking - that $50 was a small amount that we could easily depart with. What would happen if we each gave $50 to a cause that benefited more than just our own team morale event?
3) I think about myself far too often. I've never thought, on a daily basis, about how else my money could be used except to benefit myself. The only time I ever thought about giving money away is when someone has asked me for it. For example, during work's Giving Campaign, or when i get a letter in the mail from World Vision asking if I'd like to sponsor another child or maybe at a conference where vendors will display their non-for-profit organization and what they are doing and how I can donate and help. Other than that, my daily spendings are focused on how I can benefit myself and myself only. That thought made me really sad.

So i wish i could say that i decided NOT to purchase the ice cream maker and make a point to myself and the team that the money would be put to better use. But then i thought, the ice cream is not really to benefit myself only. i am doing this to help promote team spirit and unity. So in that mindframe i justified the purchase. And here is where I confess that there is still a sinful selfish side of me even as I'm writing up this post and pouring out convictions.

But the whole experience makes me contemplate and look around my home and my room -- what other purchasing decisions did i make where i bought more stuff, spent money on things and more things, and now it's just lying around collecting dust and occupying space?? Could that money have been used for something with more lasting eternal benefits? If we had fewer things in our lives for entertainment, for our enjoyment, to pleasure us, could our lives be more simple, less hurried, and better able to serve God? Maybe.

No comments: