Friday, December 16, 2005

A smile here and there

My team decided to have a White Elephant gift exchange during our team meeting this afternoon. For some reason, it's called White Elephant here but I've always known it to be Secret Santa. I got a gift from Toys 'R Us this week - Jenga was on sale for 8 bucks! Can't beat that right? - but I forgot to get wrapping paper. I brought my gift into work today thinking I could probably wrap it with some plain white printing paper. The problem was that you could still see what it was through the paper. I had to improvise, and quick! My office mate told me i could just put it into a bag. I had tried that but that was also see-through. In our office, we were able to find 3 grocery bags so I wrapped my gift with all of these bags and finally I was content that the gift was safely disguised. Then, since I didn't have any tape, we found some rubber bands and I wrapped these around the bags to hold everything in place. If only I had a camera here - the gift looked like a piece of garbage tossed onto the street. I felt pretty bad. Still, it looked so pathetic that my office mate and I thought it was pretty hilarious. I set out to my manager's office where all the presents were being left anonymously on a tray (thank goodness for anonymity!), with a large smile still on my face. I passed a team mate on my way and tried as best as i could to hide the gift. He looked at me oddly. I dropped off the gift and headed back to my office. On my way back, I bumped into the same team mate. He stopped me in the hall and said "You're especially happy today Amy - you're smiling - are you in a good mood?". I thought it was an odd comment since I thought that I normally smile and i'm normally in a good mood but then .. I guess I haven't been giving off that impression! I'm glad there was something to smile and laugh about today :) I ought to leave things last minute more often :D.

No comments: