Friday, November 16, 2007

Fix-it Chick

A couple posts ago, I took a poll to see if I should get a professional to come in to install tiles in my kitchen/bathrooms or if I should try to do it myself. I've asked around the office and talked to some coworkers and they say it's really not that difficult. It's time consuming but only becuase you have to wait for the adhesive to dry. Otherwise, laying down tiles is pretty easy. Anyway, it was also mentioned that maybe i could try smaller projects first to see if I am a 'handy' type of person. If i dont' enjoy hands on projects, then maybe hiring a professional is the way to go. So here's what I've done so far ...

Last weekend I painted. I bought the paint at Home Depot and then started putting up painter's tape (expensive stuff!). Last Friday evening, I spent just under 5 hours (9pm to 1:30am) putting up tape along the ceiling and on the trim. Saturday I woke up early-ish and started the painting. I did the two bedrooms first and then the living and dining room. It was a full day's job - 12+ hr. I did two coats in the living and dining room and finally called it quits. Sunday after church and after lunch, I went back and finished up a second coat on the two bedrooms. I had some help too. L'il O helped me Saturday afternoon and then a couple other gals helped me on Sunday for the second coats. At the end of the weekend, I had freshly painted walls! I left the hallway and foyer for this weekend but that should be easier.

Last night, I decided that the mold and mildewed caulk around the windows and doors had to be replaced. I spent the evening mostly moving the old caulk. I didn't realize how difficult it would be to remove the old stuff. I also didn't reailze there was product you could buy to help soften the caulk! It took me about 3 hours to remove the old stuff and 15 minutes to put on the new caulk. Putting it on is great fun!! You use a caulking gun to squeeze along the cleaned joint. Then you take your gloved finger and run it along to create a super smooth finish. FUN! Even though removing the old caulk is hard work, it is really satisfying at the end when you have brand-new-ish looking windows because they aren't lined with blackened mold and mildew. I really should have taken before and after shots...

Next project :
- Install new light fixtures
- Install new kitchen faucet (trying very hard not to allow the new faucet to justify a new sink, which would justify a new counter, which would justify new cabinets.... )

No comments: