Wednesday, May 14, 2008

I'm off to Japan!

This summer, I've decided to join a short-term mission team with Lighthouse Christian Church to go to Japan to teach Vacation Bible School (VBS) to kids. Here we are (17 adults and 1 youth):

Some of you are aware that after moving to Seattle, I had a lot of questions about what to do with my life. I settled into this city, started working, starting making money and then suddenly, there were all these questions - is there a better use of my time besides going out to eat with friends every evening? or watching a movie every weekend? or working all the time? or going to the gym because I have nothing else to do? i was inspired by different mentors who were using their lives to serve communities both locally and globally. so i joined the children's ministry at my church, i started tutoring at my local library and then this year i began looking after kids at a community center while their parents learned how to operate computers and how to speak english. i've found that i really enjoy being around kids! sure they get me sick once in a while and sometimes they can be rather dirty, but besides all that, i enjoy laughing with them and teaching them new things. my greatest joy is when I return the next week and they remember my name and even look forward to playing a game with me.

When a friend asked me if i would be interested in serving overseas in a mission trip, i said maybe. In fact, i said, i'd consider if it were in Asia, and if it was working with kids. I said this because I thought that by being specific, it would limit the number of opportunities and therefore I wouldn't have to consider a trip anytime soon. It is funny how God works sometimes. Shortly after...

My church announced that it would be sending a team to Japan to teach VBS to kids and they were asking for interested participants to join the team. For those you are unaware, VBS is a week long program for kids which includes fun games and activities centered around Biblical stories of Jesus. Think Christian Summer Camp. This opportunity satisfied both my criteria and my friend excitedly came back to me and told me about the annoucement - this is your opportunity!! still, i made excuses not to go. I didn't have enough vacation days (i did), it was bad timing at work (it is but really, when is it ever a good time??), i don't speak the language (it's not necessary thanks to translators), i'm not capable (God is able to use our weakness as His strengths). the excuses became rather ridiculous so i filled out the application and joined the team. now that i'm on the team, i am very excited about going and i'm glad that friends here have prodded me to go and have not let me get away with silly excuses.

I am currently in the process of building a support team for this trip. If you feel you'd like support me on this trip, whether prayerfully or financially, please send me an email and I will send you my support letter that outlines my financial goals, some prayer requests and instructions on how to get on board. I'd even appreciate notes of encouragement! :)

Faithful readers, I appreciate the years of support you have already given me as I continue on this journey of life!

No comments: