Friday, September 10, 2010

Blemished Sacrifices

I'm reaching the end of my journey through the Old Testament and Malachi comes, once again, at great timing.

Today's reading:
"When you bring injured, crippled or diseased animals and offer them as sacrifices, should I accept them from your hands?" says the Lord. "Cursed is the cheat who has an acceptable male in his flock and vows to give it, but then sacrifices a blemished animal to the Lord."
Malachi 1: 13-14

The other day, I shared about how I am currently in a season of riches and blessings and while I give praise and thanks to God for this, times of comfort and ease can be a trial in my faith journey. Here in Malachi is where everything ties together for me: When God blesses me with an abundance of overflowing ... EVERYTHING, am I faithful to offer it back to Him as a love offering, a sacrifice, an act of worship to Him? Or am I like the cheat who has an acceptable offering to give and perhaps even vows to give it but then when it comes down to the act of actually giving it up, offer instead, something blemished? What comes to my mind is not only offering in the form of money or other material possessions, but also offerings of my time and energy, and my talents.

To share an example, I have vowed to continue serving at my church in the area of Children's ministry as a shepherd through the end of the year. While life is becoming very busy, i committed to this and desire to do this as a way for me to serve God, to further His kingdom and to give back to the Lord what He has given to me -- a passion to teach and to see children come to know God. So when the going gets tough, and life gets busy again, can I offer my time and energy faithfully to this ministry with a full and grateful heart giving my absolute best? Or will I offer up instead, lessons to the children that have been half baked and thrown together at the last minute and give an excuse that i didn't have enough time to prepare?

And then what is the condition of my heart in this matter? If i am able to go through and offer "an acceptable male from my flock" but my heart is full of pride and expectation of further blessings from God in doing so, is my offering really acceptable before God? Maybe it is not just the offering itself but the state and condition of the heart while giving the offering as well.

No comments: