I started studying 1 Peter with my Bible study group last week and we stopped right at 1 Peter 1:1 to contemplate what it means as a Christian to be "strangers in the world".
My housemate moved out recently and I was left with a half empty condo which was wonderful for me because after about 3 years, I was able to make my condo my own -- comfortable, homey, a welcoming resting and rejuvenating place for me to live in. But even though I moved furniture around, and I bought new things to make the place feel cozy, I still feel that this is not my home. And what does this word "home" mean anyway? I used to think that Toronto was my home -- it's my hometown, where i was born, where all my family resides. but my parents sold the house that I grew up in and now when I go back, i'm living in a house that feels very foreign. So Toronto is becoming less and less my home. After having been to China, I find myself longing to go back. I've never considered Seattle to be my home even though I've been living here for 5 years now (my anniversary is this weekend! FIVE YEARS!!) If i do go back to China, will that be my new home?
I suppose what I'm trying to say is that I realize I'm not meant to feel at home anywhere in this world. Home is not here. I'm a stranger in this world and so no wonder I can't feel at home anywhere I go! It's a good question to ask once in a while : "where have i become too 'at home' in this world?"
Wednesday, September 01, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment