Thursday, October 20, 2005

Cravings for foods

Now that I've established a permanent residence equipped with all the basic necessities required for leading a sane lifestyle (internet, TV with cable, mattress, kitchen with pots and pans, bathroom with toilet and table for eating) my homesick desires have made a bit of a change in pace. Certainly I still miss everyone at home :P But recently, I've been craving all things sweet (especially with mango or chocolate). Nothing else really satisfies. Sure, I've had this craving before. But before, I could plan a trip to Scarborough and enjoy a mango pudding or mango sago after a yummy chinese meal. Or I could wait until Friday evening when we used to eat at the Pho Lady's restaurant after Delta and get a mango shake. Or if truly desperate, I could enjoy a chocolate bar from the local convenience store or supermarket. Cherish these things while you can!!

Even with it's decent sized asian community, Seattle has none of these delicious asian treats. The closest place you can enjoy these precious desserts is in Vancouver, BC. Somehow the concept of fresh fruit shake is foreign to these people. They use powder and call it fruit shake (where's the fruit??). Yuck. I've asked around and everyone has told me to head up to Vancouver for fresh fruit shakes. Let me tell you, there is only so much mango shake (at Dragon Balls) that you can handle in one weekend. As for chocolate bars, glucose (what we use in Canada) is substituted for corn syrup here in the States. Therefore, chocolate bars have a weird sort of taste. As does Coca-cola. As does anything with sugar in it! All the free soft drinks available at work mock me every day. I don't touch any of them - probably better that way anyway.

How to deal with this?! I just went through pictures of Gizzy's bday on matt's site. The pictures of sushi are torture. I can't wait to visit Toronto!! Christmas.. I'm counting down the days...

4 comments:

Reformed Jerk said...

"...bathroom with toilet and table for eating"

hmmm...perhaps it would be wiser to move this table for eating outside the bathroom for sanitary reasons, no? :-p

Anonymous said...

Looks like you've identified a niche market need.. If this MS thing doesn't work out, you could open a restaurant.

"..bathroom with toilet and table for eating.." its the latest west coast fad.. right?

gear-girl said...

Yeah my place is tiny. I have to made do with the space I've got! Don't be dissin!

gear-girl said...

Oh yes. after writing this blog, i went to a chinese restaurant (hk style apparently) and they had mango shake on their menu - and YES, it was made with fresh mangoes. However, the mangoes weren't sweet (more sour) and it was way watered down. That's it. i'm getting a blender.