Monday, July 11, 2005

Giraffes in Dundas Square


After the 30 hour famine, and after a feast at the House of Gourmet, a bunch of us walked to Dundas Square to enjoy the Toronto Street Festival. It was my first time hearing about and attending this event - apparently it's an annual event that has been going on for a couple of years (where have I been?!) -and I was pleasantly surprised! We had stepped onto Yonge street and noticed large crowds of people walking on the blocked off street. We started heading towards Dundas and noticed a red long-necked animal pop out onto the street. Our first thought was a dragon!! But then we realized they were actually giraffes :). And not just one but quite a number of them! What a fantastic sight! I've never seen anything like this before. The giraffes were operated by two people walking on stilts - they are hidden in the body of the animal. If people in the crowd were in the way of the giraffes we saw them use their stilts to kick the people out of way! There was a man and a woman dressed in red circus-like suits and they were both singing in opera style. I couldn't make out any words just lots of notes and noise :P There were bright red flares and drums and red confetti thrown into the air. It was really quite the show.

I would have had more pictures and even a film had I known how to use my camera properly! GRR! Oh well, now I know and at least I got a few good ones. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The giraffes were cool! Ju and I got pretty front row to them (ha, and you guys wanted to walk THROUGH the mall!) ...actually we got so close I was tempted to run up and slap the guy on the back stilt of one of the giraffes in the butt. Then again, I didnt want to get mobbed by angry PO'ed giraffes so I thought the better of it...maybe next time!