Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Is this a sign?

Tonight's dinner consisted of BBQing some short ribs (one of my favourite BBQd meats to eat!). My mom has been nagging me for the past two weeks that I shouldn't use the BBQ so much and in all honesty, I've been trying my best to cut back - I think I'm skipping the usual Saturday BBQ this week. It doesn't help that she now asks me to use the BBQ during our weekday meals. Last week it was BBQd salmon (YUM!!) and today it was short ribs.

I've been through the process many times already. You turn on the gas, and then ignite the gas by turning the little knob on the BBQ. I went through the same procedure today except that when I lifted the lid to make sure there was a flame, I noticed that there didn't seem to be a flame. A normal person would have turned off the gas and repeated the procedure, however, I proceeded to lift the lid and turned the little knob again to ignite the gas. Just as I was doing so, I was thinking, what is the worst that could happen if it's already lit? I think the question really should have been, what is the worst that could happen if it ISN'T lit?? Needless to say, there was a HUGE fireball that came out of the BBQ and I got a good whiff of gas as well as a hot sensation on my face. I backed away, opened my eyes and noticed the hairs on my arm had been singed.

My mother unfortunately witnessed this huge fireball through the window of the kitchen and I could tell I wouldn't be hearing the end of this one. I wiped the ashes off my arm in an attempt to hide the fact from my mom that I had just risked being caught on fire. I tried to reassure her that I was okay - I really was feeling okay besides the singed hairs on my arm - but she began the worried mother nagging. As we were sitting down to eat, she kept asking if I was alright. I said I was fine. Then she exclaimed, as she analyzed my face, "No, you aren't okay! You've burnt the hairs around your forehead!!!" I tried to keep a composed and calm demeanor but inside I was thinking, "What?! My hair is burnt off!!?" I held out until dinner was over to walk very calmly, very nonchalantly to the washroom before looking anxiously at the damage done.

Yes, a few hairs on my head have been singed as well, my eyelashes and my eyebrows. I think I've learned my lesson and perhaps this is a sign that I ought to take a break from the BBQ?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it's a sign that you have to be more careful in all things!
But don't pack up the BBQ until u do the cedar salmon!

gear-girl said...

lou, hk has confirmed that indeed a cedar plank may be purchased at home depot! im going to check it out sometime this weekend :D maybe next saturday we can do another BBQ!! (when my arm hairs have grown back too)

Reformed Jerk said...

I'm not sure the cedar planks at home depot are cooking-grade. Weather treatment chemical + salmon = unpleasant aftertaste...at best.

Hey, maybe you can get Tiffy to help with the BBQ next time, so she can get rid of all that hair on her hirsute arms :p

Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA..............HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA........HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.........HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.......what's going on this friday?......HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA - so you must look like the Raptors newest member - Charlie Villanueva - hahaha - he's got no hair or eyebrows - but that's because he's got a skin condition...lol...HAHAHAHAHAHAHA...but in all seriousness - hope you doing well. - kizzle

Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA..............HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA........HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.........HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.......what's going on this friday?......HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA - so you must look like the Raptors newest member - Charlie Villanueva - hahaha - he's got no hair or eyebrows - but that's because he's got a skin condition...lol...HAHAHAHAHAHAHA...but in all seriousness - hope you doing well. - kizzle

Anonymous said...

stupid blogger messing up my messages...argh! - kizzle