Tonight's feature at the Montreal Bistro Restaurant and Jazz club was
Emilie-Claire Barlow and her quartet.
* * * Flashback * * *
Apparently Jon had told Hanmin that he had seen her perform live and that she was good-looking and talented and this was enough to convince Hanmin to go to HMV and buy the CD. Hanmin had then brought the CD on our trip to Montreal and that is how I first encountered Emilie - in the rented Impala on the 401.
* * * * * * * * * * *
Just weeks after the trip to Montreal, it so happens that Emilie is playing live at a jazz club in Toronto! What an opportunity! Hanmin invited a bunch of us out to check her out live and he was very excited about being able to hear (and possibly see?) her live! :) I had checked out Emilie's website but her pictures don't look very flattering. I had already heard her CD and didn't find it especially exciting or amazing. The poster of her outside the jazz bar made her look like a man. eek. Anyhow, when she appeared in the bar I thought she looked much better in person than in any of her pictures :) And her singing was very good as well! The jazz bar was nice enough - even if the cover was $10 (plus tax?!) - they had good appetizers (one pound PEI mussels and vodka cured smoked salmon). All in all, a really enjoyable and unique evening. I have wanted to go to a jazz bar for a long time and finally got the chance to go! Ususally live performances are worse than the recording but for Emilie, i think ti's opposite. SHe did a really great job singing her songs live and after having purchased her album and listening to it in the car on the way home, I thought her live performance was much better.
anyhow, a relaxing and memorable evening - thanks for the invite hanmin! :)
* * * UPDATE * * *
I was told this entry was too harsh on Emilie but that was not intentional at all! I think she is very talented and I thoroughly enjoyed her live presentation. All I was trying to say was that her pictures and even her recorded album didn't do her justice. As Dave said, she needs a new photographer. :)
Sorry Hanmin if my entry offended you! :)
* * * * * * * * * *
Friday, August 12, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Thanks to everyone for coming out. Little did you know that inside I was squealing like a school girl when I was getting my CD autographed.
I found out that she is 27 and (I just happened to notice) that she is married or engaged.
A minor correction on how I first came across her music. I heard her on the radio and bought the CD the next day. It had nothing to do with how she looks. Jon only told me about her looks after I mentioned her music. =)
"little did you know"???
um, sorry to burst your little bubble there, han min, but you were like a little boy on christmas day!!! :p
but yeah, i'm glad that you invited us to go to see the performance - i was pleasantly surprised and it was a nice evening. :)
Amy, I was very hurt by your comments. You are a mean person and I don't like you. I don't ever want you in my concerts. I think I'm the prettiest person in the world.
You smell, stinky poo.
HAHA... I'm sorry I got that wrong Hanmin :) Of course it was the music, definitely not her good looks. I htought there was something odd with my memory.
And the comment from Emilie-Claire ... err... her name is Emilie-Claire Barlow not Emilie-Clair so most obviously an imposter!
I don't know anything about the music, but the mussels were VERY good! :D
Post a Comment