Monday, June 27, 2005

Oh, shove it up your ...

So, Tiff mentioned that she has shaken her fist at her mother once, ready to say, "Do you want this up your @$$?!?" only to realize who she's talking to and to lower and unclench her fist. hehe. Oops. Hanging out too much with the west side crew. Props to Tiff who had enough self-control to lower and unclench that fist!!

This weekend has been full of such nasty comments to my parents. I've shaken my fists so many times that my arms are going to fall off.

My parents have been nagging me about my weight since my first year of university - aka. Frosh Fifteen or for me, more like Frosh Twenty! I gained about 15 to 20 lbs after first year of university thanks to horrible meal plans at the residence. Who said that living in residence was an experience worth the extra $1500 or so?! I paid extra to gain extra weight?! After moving out of residence, I tried to adjust my eating habits such that junk food wasn't a regular part of my diet. I thought that by cooking my own meals I'd be able to lose the extra weight I had gained. For the remaining 4 years spent at UW, I was able to lose about 5 lbs :S So, my parents and the rest of my family think I'm overweight. In my fourth year, I started working out at the gym. I'd burn calories on the cross-trainer. I'd work on my muscles by participating in muscle training classes. I became a pro with the step equipment and I even tried some kick boxing - wow, that stuff is a really good workout! I've done this voluntarily, not because people were pestering my about my weight but because going to the gym is something that is healthy for my body. I needed the exercise since I spent most of my time sitting in front of a computer.

Once in a while, my parents won't bother me about my weight. But sometimes it's especially bad. When my sisters come home from Waterloo, one would think I'd be happy to have them home since I'd no longer be at home alone with my parents. The opposite, in fact, is true. Having two sisters home means twice the amount of nagging and teasing about the weight for two extra days.

This weekend, even without my sisters home, was the worst. Not only did they nag me about my eating habits and question what I was doing at the gym, (What? You mean you aren't joining the yoga class?? Do you want to come with us to our gym instead??) they had the nerve of telling Kal and Tiff that they were overweight too! The NERVE! I can understand why my parents would nag me about my weight - I'm their daughter. I can oftentimes hold my tongue and just tell them, without too much attitude, to stop nagging about it - I already go to the gym, leave me alone. But when my dad started telling Tiff that she was overweight, that just put me over the top. Oh those fists came up and they were shaking hard! I left the house in a rush feeling truly embarassed for my father's behaviour (first, you guys caught him shirtless... now, he accuses you of being overweight ... what's next... ).

Is everyone's parents as bad as this? Yes, Tiff you are right. Poor self-esteem does stem from these sorts of comments. I hope you don't take my dad's comments to heart because I think you're beautiful just the way you are :)

Well, I ended up telling my dad to shove it up his ass. I hope that wasn't too inappropriate.

5 comments:

tiffany said...

no, no, no. you don't have to worry about me, dear. to tell you the truth, i was more upset at the idea that you have to deal with such completely unfounded and untrue comments every day - i hope that *you* don't take them to heart either, b/c i think you're gorgeous just the way you are!

pfft, as a matter of fact, you're probably waaaay healthier and more in-shape than all of us west-enders combined!

anyway, you don't have to apologise for anything - i just chalk it up to chinese parentness - we've all been a victim of it at some point in our lives... i know i have! :p i hope i wasn't too rude to your dad last night though - i don't think i've ever said a point-blank "NO" to anyone else's parents before.

p.s. actually ames, i *did* say to my mom "... you see this fist?!" but luckily she didn't notice it. heh.

Reformed Jerk said...

Sounds like a dodged a bullet :p My man-boobs would have been perfect fodder :) Oh, and overweight? Are you people kidding me? None of us are overweight--come check out the people in Detroit :S...yikes!

Anonymous said...

please next time no names...lol. Haha - nah - no worries - my mother is convinced I'm going to die of a heart-attack or blow an arterie and have a stroke - I get that bout every other day so no worries. You're dad is a joker - but the truth of the matter is that I have hair and he don't. rofl. Just like Tiff said - Chinese parents - this is just the way they are, they grew up in a world and lifestyle completely different to ours...I mean when was the last time you saw your parents hug each other? (although I think Uncle George and Auntie Margaret are the ultimate exception!!!) Just keep on trucking that lumber right down to the coconuts because fresh tastes better while we watch surfers do their thing on the beach!!! lol.
-kizzle

Cristina said...

Chinese parents are THAT relentless, huh? haha. never fear you guys are not alone! Korean parents, aunts, uncles, friends are all bad too. >.< . My aunt saw me a month ago or so and said to me that I lost a lot of weight, and that i was NOW (officially???) beautiful (so, I guess that I wasn't before???). aigo. That was a blow to my ego. haha.

does not matter though. All those comments aside, we both know that we are both (all of us are, really) Fearfully and Wonderfully made (which probably means that we're all beautiful too!), so says God. hehe.

well. we're gonna have to meet up again soon... I'll drive over! hehe. I'd like to see you west-enders... haha... need to soak up as much of a social life before I become an ultimate granny (and i mean it... i just purchased a used rocking chair from a garage sale! hehe)

ZedEmPee said...

lol, you're so not overweight Amy. Don't listen to your dad.